Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Art Of The End:
BP Sucks So Much I Entered A "Redesign Their Logo" Contest For The Hell Of It



Earlier this morning I ran across an art contest given by Greenpeace, called "Redesign BP's Logo". They think BP's logo is too pretty and misleading.

I hadn't planned on entering, but I figured what the heck, it's therapy, because this catastrophe has been bugging me out. Check out mine:


"BP: Burdened Prophet"
by Kit



Click on for a larger view. Go ahead. I'm so proud of it. It's similar to someone elses, but I added a few things they didn't, i.e. the danger eyes, the doomsday clock, and oil-soaked bird. It's a modification of the famous art piece, Scream.

I always wondered why the original artist painted the dark water and fiery sky the way he did. Perhaps in his worse nightmares, he had a glimpse into the future, like a prophet. Many of us who have read in detail on the science end and can see what's coming feel like that character.

I scream inside with questions like why are those who also know but benefit from the profits of Big Oil behaving differently? Not their wealth nor their power will shield them from toxic air we'll breathe and the toxic rain that falls on us when this thing worsens and hits the ocean conveyor belt. Hell, this is the most obvious deal breaker of our times?

Enough of us have been raising hell that the President will speak to the nation later at 8 PM EST about the Gulf Oil Catastrophe. Hopefully tomorrow he'll kick some BP azz when he meets with them. The escrow account idea is a good start, but I hope for receivership, because the amount discussed now will not cover the estimated $1 Trillion dollars in damages.

Below are other entries I found compelling for different reasons. You can see them all on Flickr, and join the contest here, if for no other reason than to keep sending BP and Congress a message.



















































































11 comments:

  1. I love your 'BP Scream', Kit. That says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, Thank you; glad you like my "art therapy" project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Wow! Just wow! That first entry would make Vinny Van Gogh mad jealous! (smiles)

    Anyone of these would be more than fitting, given the situation!


    One.

    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moanerplicity, If I could blush, I'd be blushing. Thank you. They're all awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. Very disturbing; but, indeed very interesting KIT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is perfect. I tried to comment but there's something wrong at that site. Democracy Now had some good stuff on the history of BP:BP

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reggie, Yep. Pretty disturbing indeed.

    Oso, Oh wow. The history of BP's role in the overthrow of Iran in 1953. Thanks.

    Readers, I listened to The Presidential Oval Office Address at 8PM. It was short, only 18 minutes long. Here is Part 1 and Part 2 if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! They're all ingenious depictions of the disturbing truth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sory to be posting my reply on your page, but I just wanted to say THANKS so much, Kit!

    re my last entry: It's very nice to awaken and have the first thing I read in my email be a comment as flattering and encouraging as yours. THANK YOU! It's always been my personal aim to narrate existence as I see, feel, and experience it, and then to have others recognize pieces of themselves or people they know inside the beauty, the ugliness, and most of all... the TRUTH of it.

    So, thanks for feeling me.

    One Love.

    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moanerplicity, I genuinely feel this way. You may not have noticed, but a link to that post is in my Blogger Post Spotlight (upper left sidebar). I think you have what it takes to be in the James Baldwin ballpark of talent, whose brilliant and poetically written social commentaries disguised as novels made him famous. I don't have to say "keep writing", because I'm certain you will. Wishing you all the right breaks,

    ~ Kit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! And a big ole WHOA! Thanks Kit! That's a real honor. I hadn't noticed that before... but it's MUCH appreciated! Jimmy Baldwin and Toni Morrison are my literary God and Godddess, respectively. So that comes as High Praise, INDEED!

    One Love.

    Lin

    ReplyDelete

Hi, this is Kit.

I haven't posted since summer 2010, and comment moderation has been on for a very long time.

My old blogger friends (you know who you are) are welcome to email me.

I can be reached at:
kitsmailbag@gmail.com.