Monday, December 29, 2008

Blogging Lite Thoughts,
And Passing The Award Love
To Two More Bloggers


I've been in my blogger-lite mode regarding political commentaries and analysis since Barack was elected. The reason is I've taking a wait n' see attitude about his choices, and trying to get my bearings on where I am headed with this hobby.

I've also been looking for a full-time job this month (got an interview tomorrow!) and working on other blogger projects yet to be revealed, so please forgive me if I haven't been past your blog. I'll hit it soon, and you know I share the love by leaving comments unless I'm momentarily brain dead on what to say or don't want to tick you off if I strongly disagree.


For now, I got two tips for ya:

1. I spent Christmas dinner at my brother's place. It was a nice family gathering. He's got a first class wine collection and even a wine cellar, and a well stocked bar. When I was younger, chocolate was my poison, but five years ago switched to mocha coffee. I'm not much of an alcohol drinker but will indulge from time to time, particularly at a social event and even then, sip rather than drink.

Folks, I tried something that was so good I had to buy my own bottle. It's called Kajmir Vanilla. It's described as "a smooth blend of premium brandy, fine vodka, and natural vanilla flavors".


I don't even drink vodka or brandy, but this was unique. It comes in a sort of round-shaped bottle and originally I thought the name was Kamir, but it's Kajmir, and it sells for only $15 in my area. My bro served it very cold (I think he had it in the freezer for a few hours), so refrigerate it first and you won't need ice. I'm cracking this baby open on New Years eve.

2. Wait for the DVD rental of the Curious Case of Benjamin Button; it's entertaining and some parts quite funny and engaging, but after the first half dragged a bit and missed an opportunity to pass along more wisdom in the story. One critical funeral scene ticked me off for it's striking lack of warmth or cultural authenticity by Ben, who was raised by a black woman, but I won't say more than that so as not to give away the story.

As a result of all these distractions and pondering about what feels right for me to write about, I've done more essays and fewer political pieces during this time period. On Wednesday, I'll post a large article that I'm working on now.

Today, I am passing out two remaining awards. I'd pass out more but that's all I have for now.


A Kick Ass Blogger Award goes to:

Sagacious Hillbilly. Sagacious is a native of West Virginia who writes about his experiences growing up in this area, and as a rule, kicks ass commenting on the political corruption in this country. His June and July 2008 posts, Hillbilly Review Board #1 thru 4, are a must read - really funny and culturally informative. Any black person following his blog will easily see the commonalities the races share when in comes to class issues, and that's a point he makes without even trying to make it. His current post, Where Does Our Food Come From?, is well worth the read, deeply thought-provoking and memorable.


A Superior Scribbler Award goes to:

V-Knowledge. V is a very nice young brother who does extremely well-written new and old film reviews. Not many of us do this, and I applaud him for trying something different. I don't think a lot of people know about him which is a secondary reason I'm giving him an award. Visit him from time to time, read his take on reviews and leave a comment.


Honorary Mentions


Shouldn't Life Be More Like This? A.Eye is a sister who teaches constantly as part of her life philosophy. She writes well on a variety of issues, and like several other (unnamed) bloggers, is on my list to get an award the next time I have more to pass out.

Very Smart Brothers. Champ and Panama recently won the coveted Best Black Blogger Award. I go there often and would like to see some fresh new faces from folks who don't know about them. They write funny, tongue in cheek posts that hits the mark on relationships, from late Sunday through Thursday around the midnight hour. They're currently on hiatus until January 5th.



13 comments:

  1. Wassup Kit? Merry Chrustmas to you and yours. Ok, yeah I know I'm a little late. But you know how us Black folk do.

    I'm not a big drinker myself; not anymore anyway. But that blend shole does sound smoove.

    Big ups to all the honored bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kit! I really appreciate the honor, it makes blogging even more worthwhile.

    Even though there's only two days left of 2008, I wish you a Happy New Year. Peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Honorable Mention.

    It means a lot to me to be appreciated by a blogger who I love to read and who teaches me, and others, constantly about life through stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a.eye, You're more than welcome. I greatly enjoy your blog.

    V-Knowledge, You're welcome, and I dig that you something no one else I know does, and you do it well.

    Rippa, Yeah, Kajmir is smooth as smooth can be and has a very nice burn and aftertaste. I've been a lifelong rum n' coke person or orange liqueour kind of girl, but this will be my new replacement.

    Happy New Year to all, and you too, Sagacious, when you get back from your vacation in Floriduh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanls Kit. It's always an honor to be recognized by bloggers like you.
    I will have to correct you however. . . I knew a lot of poor people growing up, and by comparison, I wasn't one of them. We were never hungry, always had Christmas stuff, went on a few vacations. I'd feel guilty calling myself "poor."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you found something tasty to look forward to on New Year's, I'll definitely look for that stuff. I'm stepping back from blogging for a bit to reassess too. I look forward to the results of your new plans. Thanks for the blog-recs, I especially like smart film reviews. See you around next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished watching Benjamin Button and the funeral scene did seem a little out of place and not thought through enough!

    Have a happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the job comes through.

    Loved the "Devine Intervention" post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sagacious, forgive me for foot in mouth! Lol, I know you will, for it was an honest error and I'll edit it. Anyway, thank you.

    Macon, Yes, they're exciting, if they ever get off the ground.

    Funge Blak Chik, Long time no see! And yeah, that scene was most def not thought through.

    Debo Blue, Hi. I have a sense that the interview went very, very well. Got my fingers crossed I'll be called back for a second one that will go just as well. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, Hope you had a great Christmas! Happy Kwanzaa and New Year to you as well!

    Second, Yes, the Curious Case was a bit slow in the beginning (and middle, and end, hell it was just entirely too long), but it was entertaining. I did notice that he was a bit dull in the funeral scene. I was surprised nobody really talked about how GORGEOUS he was as he was getting older. He looked even better since he was so old and gross at the beginning.

    Third, I hope the interview went well! I'll send up a little prayer for you. My mom has her interview next tuesday. She's been out of work for a year. God's gonna send us a mini-miracle and I'm hoping he'll send you one too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dom, Hi. Thank you, and happy holidays to you too! I wish your mother the best in her interview(s). It's so rough out there I'll say a prayer for her tonight.

    And about the movie - yeah, he looked great as time went on. I think the movie makers missed an opportunity to for him to have some wise thoughts about the dating scene, since he was probably 50 or 60 when he finally looked 25.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there K.I.T.! {waves}

    {raised glass of sparkling cider}

    Here's to another year of your fantastic writing!

    I really just wanted to drop by and bring "Happy New Year!" greetings!

    What could be more fitting than some advice and encouragement from God:

    "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

    Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
    Lisa

    *Isaiah 43:18-19

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a drinker but that Kamjir does sound like it goes down very smooth.

    Benjamin Buttons... that was LONG. The funeral scene had me saying "uh, what?" But I thought it was beautifully filmed, and I love Taraji Henson's character.

    Hope the interview went well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, this is Kit.

I haven't posted since summer 2010, and comment moderation has been on for a very long time.

My old blogger friends (you know who you are) are welcome to email me.

I can be reached at:
kitsmailbag@gmail.com.